Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why do I take photography?


Why do I take pictures?

Well, I think that is hard to answer. Let’s start from the beginning, I like be outside in the forest, I like wild country far away from people and I like animals. All the beautiful landscapes I discover out there inspire me, and I want to share it with other people. I want to capture all the beauty I see in the forest, print big pictures, put them on the wall in my apartment and enjoy and remember that moment I had in the forest. I also like to take pictures of wild animals, mostly because it is a bigger challenge to get good wild animal pictures. I know how hard it is to take a powerful image of an animal and I respect photographers who can do that. You have to be ready every second; you have to read the landscape and you have to know the animal you take pictures of to capture that great shot. And you have to spend a lot of time to get one good picture. I also work for the government in Norway with wildlife and the damage they do on farm animals. We have to document this with pictures and written statements about the damage. So I also want to be good technically in photography.

I have a Nikon D70 with 3 lenses (Tamron 90 mm F2.8 Macro; Tamron 70-300 F4-5.6; Nikon AF-S 24-120mm F3.5-5.6 G with VR). I also plan to get a wide lens, maybe a Tamron 14 mm F2.8 or something, that takes nice landscape pictures (if you know how to use it ).

There is a moment I can think back to, where I asked myself, “Why didn’t you take a picture of that?” The reason is very simple. It was a moment where a lot was happening, for example, hunting and I am not always able to be ready. The biggest problem with Nikon D70 and all other digital SLR: is that they are big cameras, so you can’t just have them in your pocket and always be ready for the right moment to capture the right photo. You can’t go downhill skiing with D70, and you can’t fish when you take pictures. You have to decide if you want to take pictures or if you want to go downhill skiing. I want both.
Post a Comment